International Coordination Center for Volunteer Teachers, Thailand is a non-profit organization that is established for Thai students in small villages in Thailand. The aim of this organisation is to give opportunity for Thai students to learn English with volunteers from different countries free of charge.
Volunteer Job Title: English Teacher
Job Description: The subject of the volunteers is “English conversation“, which means to teach simple conversations and basic vocabulary to teach K-12 students . It’s most important that the students have fun while speaking English and get a connection to the language. Playing, singing and other activities are more than welcome in the classrooms. The Volunteers are expected to work 5 days a week (Monday – Friday) flexible hours but a minimum of 20-25 hours per week.
- Be 20 years of age or older
- Note:While we do state on our website that we require volunteer applicants to be at least 20 years of age, we are willing to make exceptions for motivated, mature, and driven volunteers. We have found that individuals falling between the ages of 20-60 fulfill the mature and responsible demeanor that we are seeking, but we are more than willing to evaluate applicants on a case-by-case basis and would gladly welcome your application form.
- Possess a strong proficiency English
- If not a native a speaker the a diploma, certificate, or letter of recommendation from an employer or teacher to support applicant level of English proficiency must be provide
- For applicant from China, we require one of the following English test and proficiency score
- CET6 Score of 425 of higher required for acceptance
- TOEFL Score of 80 of higher required for acceptance
- IELTS Score of 6.0 of higher required for acceptance
- Demonstrate cultural sensitivity, adaptability, flexibility, and tolerance.
- Have attained at least a high school diploma.
- Possess a passport to eligible to enter Thailand legally.
- Have no past criminal record.
- Have no transmittable disease.
- Be willing to volunteer a minimum of 30 days.
- The ICCVTT requires a minimum one-month time commitment from volunteers. We are unable to accommodate any volunteer stay under the one-month requirement. Please abide by this standard when selecting your volunteer start and end date.When selecting volunteer term dates please keep in mind that the ICCVTT host volunteer between May 16- September 30, and from November 1- March.(The ICCVTT does not host volunteers between March 16-May 16, and from October 1- October 30. These periods are a public holiday for our students), and we ask that you please arrange your intended volunteer term around these dates.
- we have found through experience that a service period shorter than one month leads to much inconsistency within the classroom, and actually proves to be detrimental to our students.
- Able to cover own travel costs,air ticket, travel insurance and some on-site costs, personal items such as shampoo, laundry detergent medicine, etc.
- Free Accommodation
- Food: breakfast , lunch and dinner every work day
- Transportation to the work site from accommodation
- Certificate of participation, award at the end of the volunteer session (awarded by the host school)
- Assistance with sightseeing (arranging transportation, guide, etc. at the volunteer’s expense
- Note: This volunteer experience is not about a free opportunity to eat, drink and travel. Please remember that teaching is a wonderful experience and is about giving of knowledge and caring for students and people around you.
Costs to the volunteer: May be up to $90.00 USD depending on service duration.
The ICCVTT was strived to keep its program at free of cost for volunteers. However, the ICCVTT found that it could not sustain its mission and education goal by remain entrively free of charge, and thus has introduced a minimal application fee. Effective June 1, 2018, all volunteers are liable to pay
- The $15.00 USD applicant fee
- The placement fee:
- One month $ 75.00
- Two months $ 50.00
- Three or more months FREE
- Note: Volunteer will be held financially responsible for all incurred housing and meal arrangements and MUST to pay up to $650 for covering the costs of failure from the volunteer program.Effective June 1, 2018
- Complete Form: You have to fill out the online application at least 30 days before your intend date. The system will ask you to pay the $15.00 application fee via PayPal system.
Note: Once we have begun to process an application, the $15. Fees are not refundable. The application fee is cover the application and verification process. There is no guarantee of approval.The ICCVTT was strived to keep its program at low cost for volunteers. However, the ICCVTT found that it could not sustain its mission and education goal by remain entrively free of charge, and thus has introduced a minimal application fee. Effective June 1, 2018, all volunteers are liable to pay
- Joint application: If you would like to apply with a friend, please send your application together with a note of explanation, including whether or not you would accept separate places. Although we will do our best to find places together, we cannot guarantee it.
- Form Review: A volunteer coordinator will review your application form and will inform you by email when you are accepted for next admission session or you have not been selected as a candidate to complete the interview process with our organization .This will usually be within a week but in some case take longer.
- Interview Session: The interview is mainly about your past volunteer experiences, English proficiency, and teaching plan.
Note:The interview is mainly about your past volunteer experience, English proficiency, and teaching plan. You can make some preparation about your plans to teach small kids, which might be helpful before long.
Our acceptance rate is fairly high, with about 60-75% of applicants being offered admission into our program. We have a formal application and interview process. However, we do believe in the value of self-improvement, and offer qualified candidates the chance to re-interview with our program, if they did not pass the interview in the first stage.
We do require high proficiency in spoken English, as the development and promotion of English education and literacy remain our primary goals. On a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being not proficient, and 5 being native speaker proficiency), we generally recruit candidates who are a 4 or a 5 in terms of their verbal English abilities. These applicants are fluent in English, have natural pacing and speech patterns, have clear pronunciation, and are capable of using complex vocabulary and sentence structures.
All of our applicants will teach and lead their classes in English. This does pose a bit of a challenge with the students speaking Thai (and very basic English). One of the things that we assess in our interview is how well you can communicate your lessons given the language barrier, and we look for ideas involving non-verbal communication and other patterns of effective communication skills.
5. Letter of Acceptance: If you passed the interview. You will be received a Letter of Acceptance by email. It is merely a mean to inform the volunteer that you is join our volunteer program team as guest for a specific period of time (As state on the Volunteer Contract) in the ICCVTT program. This letter is in no way designed to be used to acquire visa of fulfill any other immigration requirement by enter the Thailand government or any other.
6. Submit the Volunteer Contract and Placement fee.
For more information Frequently Asked Questions
or Click here to downloads the ICCVTT Application-Form2018
Check the Thailand Public Holidays 2019 to decide your volunteer date and plan for your own travel